Saturday, August 3, 2013

Sweet Dessert Saturdays: Oatylicious Chocolate Chip Cookies (Whole Grain and Vegan)

Although I hate turning on my oven in the summer because it's so hot outside, I sometimes can't resist baking oatmeal cookies. I just love them so much!!!




 Oatylicious Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies (Whole Grain and Vegan)
Ingredients
2 Tbsp. Ground flaxseed mixed with 1/2 cup boiling water- set aside (If you don't have flax, just use 2 Eggs instead of this mixture.)
2/3 cup Safflower, Canola, Grape Seed, or Sunflower oil (I used Safflower oil)
1 1/2 cups of Raw Cane Sugar, (Sucanat, Turbinado, or Pure Cane sugars work too)
1 cup Spelt Flour
3/4 Brown Rice Flour or Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Aluminum Free Non-GMO Baking Powder (I use Rumford Baking Powder)
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4-1/2 tsp. Salt (desired amount)
2 cups Rolled Oats
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries (or Raisins or more Chocolate Chips)
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts (optional)

Directions
1. Mix together the Oil, Sugar, Baking Powder, Vanilla, Soda, Salt, and Flax Gel (or Eggs) until well combined. (I would highly recommend using a hand mixer for this instead of elbow grease.)
2. Slowly add in as much of the Flours as you can and then stir in the remainder.
3. Stir in the Oats and Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Stir in Cranberries and Chocolate Chips, mix well.
5. Form dough into one inch sized balls and arrange three in a row on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Taking a clean coffee mug, get the bottom of the mug slightly wet and then flatten the balls of dough using the bottom of the mug. Your hands could also work for this task.
7. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 8-10 minutes or until just slightly browned on the edges and they have puffed up a little.
8. Remove the cookies from the cookie sheets using a metal spatula and let them cool on a cooling rack. Or eat one warm! But be careful not to burn yourself if you do!!!!
9. Enjoy!!



 


Here they are!!!! They turned out pretty good. At first when I was making them I was having a little bit of trouble getting them to spread out from they're state as round balls of dough, but once I started flattening them with the bottom of a mug, they started to look like the ones pictured above. How do you like my mug? I painted it myself. The handle just fell off recently, but thankfully I was able to just super glue it back on! Now I'm off to go enjoy another cookie (..or two!).


Sincerely,

     TheIrishCupcake

No comments:

Post a Comment